Here I Am is a song originally by country music singer Mary Chapin Carpenter, released on her 2007 album The Calling. It has been covered by the Mountain Goats a few times during John Darnielle's solo set at concerts.
I've waited longer for lesser things but Here I am Who really knows what tomorrow brings but Here I am Just in case you were wondering Just in case you got lost again Just in case you run out of friends Here I am It's so easy to rip and to tear, so Here I am What you need most vanishes into thin air, so Here I am Rocks and compasses may stay true It doesn't really matter what you do I have never forgotten you Here I am Some days our reach is bound to exceed our grasp I gave up hoping long ago I could fix the past Today I called you for the very first time in a Million years You would never know if I told you so of these Million tears Life doesn't wave as it's speeding past Grab on tight and hold on fast And don't ever forget to fight this good fight Here I am
Comments by John Darnielle About this SongEdit
- "This is a Mary Chapin Carpenter song. It is! Not only that, but mainly if you're laughing because I'm going to play a Mary Chapin Carpenter song, at the end of it, you'll be going like 'Oh my God, that's like the most emotional song, holy cow...'" -- 2008-11-03 - Republic - New Orleans, LA
Things Referenced in this SongEdit
Live Shows this Song Was Played atEdit
- 2008-10-24 - The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA
- 2008-10-25 - Troubadour - Los Angeles, CA
- 2008-11-03 - Republic - New Orleans, LA
- 2008-11-05 - Cat's Cradle - Carrboro, NC
- 2008-11-06 - 9:30 Club - Washington, D.C.
- 2008-12-09 - The Rosemount - Perth, Australia
- 2008-12-10 - Billboard - Melbourne, Australia
- 2008-12-18 - San Francisco Bath House - Wellington, New Zealand
- 2014-06-27 - Boys Rock for Girls Rock - Haw River Ballroom - Saxapahaw, NC